Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not Knots!! or How memory wire saved my life

I am going into a busy busy time. I have something every weekend from now till the week before Christmas. On top of that I have product in five stores and have to get them ramped up for their holiday shopping.

I don't have enough time!!

I need something quick that will bulk out my inventory, give my customers a choice and work in a retail setting as well.

Something that I can crank out without looking like it came off of an assembly line.

*think* *think*

One thing I get quite a call for and haven't been able to provide to my customers are elastic bracelets. I cant' tie a knot to save my life. I have gotten some great tips from my readers when I reached out for advice on just this very problem a while back, sadly, my fear of elastic has kept me from trying any.

While at Walmart yesterday, I did a quick stroll thru the craft department (one of the few Walmarts that still has a craft dept.) and I saw memory wire. Me and memory wire don't have the greatest history. I used it years ago, when I first started making jewelry, and didn't understand the principles of it and became very frustrated. I thought I would try it again. I got a 5' coil for $2.67. It was worth the risk.

This morning I played around with a couple ideas when the flood gates opened. Out of that 5' length of memory wire, I got six bracelets! They are fun and versatile. No clasp to worry about and no knots!

Here's what I used:

Vintage Italian Lucite Marbled Red w/ White Rounds 12mm 20pc *- A Beadin Path
Glass pearls- Walmart
Bright Sterling Silver Twisted Jump Rings, approx 8mm - Sedona Stones
Round banded agate
Square banded agate
Czech Fire Polished Bead Jet 6mm - Art Beads
Faceted jasper roundelle
Sterling beads
Faceted AB Czech crystal
Repurposed black crystal
Black seed beads

Spice jasper round beads approx.12mm
-Sedona Stones
Sterling daisy spacers
Glass pearls - Walmart

Coral
Dyed Magnesite
Sterling daisy spacers


Re purposed wood beads
Sterling barrels
6mm howlite - Rings & Things



Round Snowman Head (Limited Stock) (White) Glass Bead *- Rings & Things
Re purposed plastic beads
Seed Beads

Thanks for stoppin by!


*FTC compliance disclosure: the '*' items mentioned in this post credited to Rings & Things and Beadin Path were provided as a promotional gift as part of the Blog Partner Program. These items are for review or design purposes. Find out more about the Rings & Things Blog Partner Program

2 comments:

  1. They are all very pretty. I especially love the coral and dyed magnesite and the orange and green with snowman heads...what fun! I haven't had much luck with the elastic thread bracelets either, but love the ease in wearing them and you have created bracelets that are as fun to wear. Good luck at this busy time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Sounds like you might be a memory wire convert! I love it! Memory wire is one of my favorites. It's actually the first thing I think about when designing a piece of jewelry..."can I do this on memory wire? It's just so easy! I love all of these, but the walmart pearl and the snow people faces are my faves, but I also love the black and white. Well, heck, I like them all!

    ReplyDelete