Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Odds and Ends - earrings, charity update

Didn't know what to title this entry, so I called it exactly what it is - odds and ends.

I love making jewelry, love looking at jewelry, love learning how to do new techniques, love love love! I was encouraged by everyone to take the next step. Go on out there and sell it. When you do something you love, it is tuff to put it out for sale. It is a harsh way to be judged. If it isn't bought, it isn't liked, or that is how it can feel sometimes.

I took that step and now I am in several local stores. I recently stopped by one of the retailers that sells my jewelry and she needs more earrings. How exciting!! I made a few pair last nite, here is an example of what I am taking to her -

Resin, seed beads and silver plated wire.

Stamped brass peace signs with ruby in zoisite and fresh water pearls. Ruby in Zoisite is an energy amplification stone and pearls attune the wearer to ebb and flow of life. They are calming and centering. They give purity and promote faith, charity, and integrity, truth and loyalty. I thought they were the perfect stones to put with the peace symbol.



Fun, simple little copper spirals with fire opal swarovski crystals. These are a staple to most collections, mine included. It is one of the first wire wrap designs I learned. This is an easy design and very versatile.

I have had so much encouragement and so much support from so many people, I feel I need to give back. To me, it is so exciting to me to be able to give. That being said, I began to choose a charity a month that proceeds from all sales would go to. I have had some really lean months, so I changed it to reflect quarterly sales. My 4Q charity for 2009 was NEADS.org. NEADS (Dogs For Deaf and Disabled Americans), of Princeton, MA, is a non-profit organization, organized under section 501c (3) of the IRS code. NEADS was established in 1976 to train and provide independence to people who are deaf or physically disabled through the use of canine assistance. These assistance dogs become an extension of their owners and bring security, freedom, independence and relief from social isolation to their human partners. I am happy to announce that my 4Q charity, NEADS.org will be getting a check for $150!!

With recent events, I have chosen my 1Q charity to be going to the relief fund for Haiti. 15% of all sales for 1Q of 2010 will go to the relief fund benefiting the population of Haiti devastated by the earthquake. There are so many ways to be involved in offering help to the people of Haiti. ArtBeads posted this on their FaceBook page -

Artbeads.com Etsy Shop Owners Unite! Join "Hearts for Haiti' and "Craft Hope' and help the people of Haiti by donating a piece of jewelry or craft to raise money for Doctors Without Borders.
Hearts for Haiti: http://www.etsy.com/shop/heartsforhaiti
Craft Hope: http://www.etsy.com/shop/crafthope
Doctors Without Borders: http://doctorswithoutborders.org/


I am touched and have had my faith in humanity restored with the outpouring of help going from so many people to this tiny island nation.

So heres to you and your support, you are helping to shape me into the artist I am. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment